Sunday, December 18, 2011

11 degrees and Fishing was hot!



It’s been a great December along the Lakefront. Fishing out in the harbor is going strong with no signs of icing up yet.


I had a five fish morning on Saturday the 17th. No giants, but a five fish morning on the third weekend in December and I haven’t had to think about going into downtown yet. This is a bonus guys. Get out there.


The one pictured was Saturday December 10th at dawn. Eleven degrees! Down coat, insulated bibs, Mickey Mouse boots, Carhart baklava, Under Armor base layer…… and three Browns. Can’t beat that!

I must admit that as I wandered out on the break wall, 11 degrees on the old Allen-Bradley thermometer, and wind out of the west at 20, in the dark, I was questioning my own sanity. But I not only felt saner when I started catching fish, but I knew I wasn’t the craziest one as I saw two rigs pull up at the ramp and launch. It’s always nice to know there is someone out there that is closer to the front of the line at the loony ward.


Reflecting back on the year, after a horrible winter (worst ever for me) it was a pretty great spring, summer, and fall. Yes, there were some slow periods, but there always are. I hear complaints from some that it was a bad year. If that was the case, you probably sat in one spot too long because there were some very good stretches of fishing and they didn’t take place in the popular spots.


You gotta move around.!!! It’s a big city and a lot of access points. Hit at least two, three, or four per morning. To sit in one spot and not catch anything for three hours with all the options available is insane. Don’t leave fish to find fish, but don’t wait around all morning for something to happen.


The numbers of returning salmon are down, but that’s the way it is right now. Quality, not quantity. Brown Trout, what can I say…. World Class!


To all the great folks that follow this, have a great Holiday season and a great New Year. My New Year’s resolution is the same this year as it has been for the last 35. Fish more!


Tight Lines and Smooth Drags,
Marc

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home